Sts Peter and Paul Parish in Makati
Makati is definitely the classiest city in the Philippines as affluent urban lifestyle is more evident here than in any other part of the country. The metropolis is modern, fast-paced and peppered with commercialism in all areas. However, there are several districts off the CBD that somehow still show a less than the hyped urban lifestyle of Makati.
Tucked away in a narrow side street off the main road of old Makati is the Church of Sts Peter and Paul. The church is situated in Barangay Poblacion which is off old Makati’s J.P Rizal Avenue and actually off the side of a quieter residential section of Makati Avenue.
The church was built in 1620 by the Jesuits and they were the administrators of the parish until 1768 although the Franciscans were the first missionaries in the area in 1578. The church was built by Rev. Pedro de los Montes on a site called Buenavista donated by Capt. Pedro de Britto in 1607.
The architectural style of the church is reminiscent of Spanish colonial mission churches as exemplified by a single rectangular nave which includes the apse and sacristy. A three-tiered papaltiars and keys are evident as the symbols of the Papacy. The church is dedicated to the first pope, St. Peter and to St. Paul who is the local patron saint. Their images dominate the façade of the church.
The altar with its carved retablo is the main feature of Sts. Peter and Paul Church. The original retablo is still there but the rather gaudy gold-colored embellishments somehow made the altar look slightly more cheap and plastic.
The church is found in 5539 D.M. Rivera St., Poblacion, Makati City.
Saints Peter and Paul Church in Makati:
Read About More Makati City Landmarks >>
posted Mar. 3rd, 2014 - 4:19amSampiro de Macati! says:
cheap and plastic!? namumuri or naninira!?
posted Jun. 6th, 2013 - 2:57pmsays:
Ano po ba ang pinaka-matandang simbahan sa Makati City?
Add a Comment