Community Agreement / Usage Policy
Community Agreement / Usage Policy
« Back to Forums
MakatiCity.com is a local gathering place for neighbors in the Makati, Philippines area.
If you follow the goal of "Keeping MakatiCity.com Friendly," you should have no problem fitting in the with MakatiCity.com crowd!
Keep MakatiCity.com Friendly, Safe and Welcoming:
A Couple Guidelines:
Moderators have the final word on forum decisions. Any message that we feel doesn't keep the MakatiCity.com forums friendly
and inviting for others, may be removed or locked by moderators.
We are willing to discuss disputes in a calm manner, but
publicly attacking a moderator, or intentionally undermining a moderator's actions, will get your account locked.
- A thick skin is required to participate.
- No insults, name calling, or inflammatory comments aimed at other members. Refrain from posting personal attacks or grievances publicly. Avoid broad negative generalizations about other MakatiCity.com members.
- If many people might interpret a message or picture as racist, bigoted or sexist, please refrain from posting it.
- Don't pretend to be someone else, or post under several usernames.
- Privacy / Anonymity: Do not post personal information (real name, address, work place, physical description, email address, family status, etc.) that would betray the anonymity of another member without permission, either publicly or in private messages. We can only enforce your anonymity/privacy if you are careful about giving out your information publicly. If you think someone has violated your privacy / anonymity, please contact an Admin ASAP.
- No "stalking behavior," including: following a member from one discussion thread to another while criticizing him/her; following someone into another thread and trying to continue a disagreement that began elsewhere; disparaging an individual in a thread where that person is not participating.
- Debate can be lively, but should remain civil and respectful, especially when it comes to sensitive topics like religion, politics, sexuality, and race.
- Keep the forums clean: messages that are too crude may get deleted. Don't post sexually explicit or violent pictures.
- Please follow our strict photo & video guidelines when posting photos or videos to the forums, including profile pictures.
- No business solicitations, advertisements or spam on the forums, please.
- No meme photos mocking / criticizing other site members.
- "Ignore" is meant to reduce conflict. Use it if you need to. If you have somenone on ignore, or they have you on ignore, please refrain from talking to or about that person. Do not circumvent the ignore mechanism to read messages you otherwise wouldn't be able to read.
- Be aware, moderators typically delete the following types of threads: Swan song posts, Posts about ignoring someone, Advertisements, Criticisms of our website sponsors, Critiques of moderating (take it to PMs please). Text mentioning other forums or community web sites may be replaced with the text "another website".
- "Keep MakatiCity.com Friendly" applies to all participation on the site, including private messages.
Additional Moderating Guidelines:
Political Discussion Rules
Rules? What About Free Speech?
Politics is a difficult subject to discuss on an online message board.
People who post political threads have a variety of opinions and beliefs that span the
entire political spectrum. As such, there are many opportunities for you as a user
to be exposed to ideas and ideology that may seem foreign or difficult to accept.
It's important to mention here that we don't censor people due to their opinions.
People are completely allowed to post an opinion that is not factually true, or
that you believe is incorrect, or that you find unacceptable for whatever reason.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions even if you disagree with them - in these
instances, remember to debate civilly and focus your efforts on explaining why you disagree.
As a general rule of thumb:
Don't insult or attack others members; don't
insult or attack the character of other members; and don't insult or attack people
from different political parties or who hold political beliefs different than your own.
Attack the argument, not the member.
It doesn't matter if your insult is sarcastic, creative, or absurd -- personal attacks and pejoratives
are against these rules. Users who break these rules will be warned and/or banned.
- "Creative", demeaning terms toward the opposite political party (libtard, teabagger, rethuglican, snowflakes, Hitlary Cliton, etc.)
- Insults based upon a general political affiliation and/or political beliefs. ("republicans are morons", "democrats can't think straight") Insults against a particular political public figure for his/her political beliefs are not against the rules. But insults against a member for their political beliefs are. Insults generally against all people of a political party or belief also are against the rules.
- Direct name-calling toward members ("You idiot", "You're a moron", "You're a troll", "You're a shill")
- Ad hominem attacks toward members specifically targeting the member's character ("You're a hypocrite", "You're hopelessly biased")
- Demeaning terms toward members ("Grow up, kid", "You're so naive" )
- Ridiculing arguments implicitly attacking a member ("Only people who live in fantasy worlds believe that")
- Sarcastic insults toward members ("Oh genius, enlighten me!")
- "Not understanding" ridicule toward members ("I didn't even understand what you're trying to say it's so dumb")
- Insulting compliments toward members ("You're cute/adorable", "You're too funny", "Nice spin")
- Memes / Photos attacking political parties or beliefs Even if they are funny, sarcastic, absurd, etc., they are still against the rules.
Even a well-written comment will earn you a warning or ban if you include a personal attack like those mentioned above.
Don't Post Politcs While Angry:
Avoid discussing politics while angry. If you feel angry or emotional,
make sure to take extra care to speak or write in as nicely and respectfully of a tone as
possible. Focus on making points only about the main topic, and do not comment on the other
person's character or abilities (unless you wish to give them an honest compliment).
Obligation To Flag:
We need your help to keep political discussion clean.
As a participant in political discussions, you are obligated
to flag violations of these political rules. (click the "down" arrow at the top-right of a
post, then choose the "Flag" option). If you get in trouble for breaking the rules and
are mad because other people were also breaking the rules, we will ignore your complaint
if you had not been flagging those posts beforehand.